A few of my favourite things

14:11 Unknown 2 Comments

Since learning about the concept of minimalism I have been trying to purge my collection of stuff by organising a clothes swap with friends and selling stuff online. Looking for minimalism inspiration online has left me with mixed feelings. I completely agree that having less stuff looks and feels better but the clean Scandinavian style I constantly see on Pinterest is lacking in character for me. I am all for minimalism but that does not mean my style is minimal, I like colour and I don’t want to live in a space where everything looks new. So on I purge, but the stuff I do keep is ornate, colourful and fun. Here are some of my favourite things which are everything named above but especially used and loved.





 1 This corner is next to my loft bed, the stack of books is my bedside table and usually holds a lamp, the book I am currently reading (The Children’s Book by A.S Byatt) and my diary. I am so in love with the velvet mask I got in Brighton. It is part of a small collection of mine so I am ready if I ever get an invite to a masquerade. The dollhouse was a gift from from my grandma years ago.

2 I spotted the rose quarts in a shop and loved this one because it is kind off shaped like a dish. It is now where I keep my everyday  jewellery, having a few favourite pieces  next to my mirror is making me wear jewellery far more often than I used to.

3 The Pikachu and the discoball are some childhood favourites I still adore, I actually have Pikachu flown over to Brighton for last Halloween as the boy and I went as Ash and Misty. He now keeps my flower hair band save while the popcorn box keeps a lot of loose things neatly contained.

4 I have always loved a bit of glitter so I placed these clutches to bring sparkle to an otherwise dark bookshelf.

5 This is what you are greeted with when entering my room, the mannequin is a queensday find which holds items that are hard to store, the cape is made out of fake fur of course. Since getting rid of stuff freed up a shelf I allowed some of my overflowing shoe collection to take over. The picture board is a DIY that you can find by clicking here!

2 comments:

  1. I love the idea of living more minimalistic too but agree that sometimes this 'lifestyle' can lack character. Through my research on it, I heard someone say that being minimalistic just means you don't keep the things you don't need/use. So maybe think of it that way?
    I absolutely love how you've set out the areas of your room, it's all so Kathy! :p x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I much prefer that aspect of minimalism, the aesthetic is just not for me but I like the idea of reducing the stuff you own and only keeping what you love, need and use. Did you notice my glitter clutch is proudly on display? Sometimes the light catches it and it converts my room into a golden disco :)

      Delete