My thrifty tips for crafty girls on a budget

16:48 Unknown 0 Comments

Hey everybody!

Like many students I am always looking for ways to save a bit of cash. Making things yourself is often not only more fun, but also cheaper than buying pre-made things. Many of the gorgeous projects on Pinterest can however be a little pricey which is why I thought I would share some of my thrifty tips for crafty girls on a budget.

Have you ever noticed that fashion lookbooks often have loads of blank pages in them? I was discussing what a waste this was with a friend of mine when we realized that they would make lovely notebooks! They really brighten up your bag and give you constant inspiration. So definitely have a look next time you go shopping! And if you have time to spare, you could even turn one into a diary by drawing lines and writing the dates, free diary! Boom!


If you are anything like me, you constantly find yourself buying black tights because they break and black hair ties because they disappear. (Seriously, where do they go?)  Well, if that is the case I might just be able to make your day! Don’t bin your tights when they break, instead, chop of the feet and start cutting the legs into bands. The perfect width is about the size of three fingers depending on the stretch. It doesn’t need to be too neat because once you have given them a little tug they roll in and make the perfect hair tie without any damaging metal bits. You’re welcome!


In order to reduce the cost of supplies, try looking for what you can get your hands on for free. Universities often offer freebies to their students. As a fashion school, my uni gets fabric swatches from different companies that we are free to take. I’ve recently managed to get my hands on a pile of Hilfiger swatches that I’ll soon be making a gift with!  People who no longer attend school could try their workplace or if specifically looking for textiles, most fabric stores have boxes with leftovers, so if have a dig you’ll be able to get something lovely at a good price.

If you have any other ideas to save a little money, please let me know below!




0 comments: