DIY sewing case

23:24 Unknown 0 Comments

My first job ever was at a fabric store which was part of the local market in Amsterdam. Every Saturday I would help customers find the which fabrics they needed, advise them on how to treat the fabric and finally measure and cut it for them. Since then I have accumulated lots of bits of fabric. Too many in fact. The free samples I spoke about in this post definitely did not help to reduce my growing collection. So to reduce clutter I am always on the lookout for good stash busting crafts. Pinterest is, as always, a great source of inspiration and it was there that I found this image for a sewing machine cover. 


Can we talk about how much of an upgrade it is compared to the free plastic cover your sewing machine came with? I wanted mine to have a clean look so stuck with a white base; I used white denim for the main piece because of its sturdiness and viscose for the sides. The lightness of viscose helps to make to cover easy to take off and place back on, although I also made sure to use a bit of extra fabric. To prettify it I used a fabric with a graphic print to create a pocket for my fabric scissors and added three iron on swarovski crystals in a similar colour. If you would like to add some more details it might be nice to add pockets for thread spools and measuring tape.


For the handle opening I used a simple version of a welt pocket opening but any method will do. If you have any questions on this method, or anything else, leave a comment as I would love to hear from you. What I love about this DIY is that it allows you to use and combine small bits of fabric. You could even go crazy when it comes to adoring it with little bits of ribbon or anything else you can get your hands on.
  

PS: despite doing a reverse google image search I can’t seem the original crafter of the sewing machine case. If anybody knows do let me know as I would love to give them credit.

0 comments: